Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday

September 27, 2008

It’s shocking that today is Saturday. It seems so short and yet so much has happened. We just gave our presentation on the master plan, water and electricity supply options, and cost. It has been such a pleasure to work with architects and engineers. I have learned so much about building on a hill, building without electricity or air, bringing water in from a spring, and about working in a great multi-disciplinary team.

This afternoon, we are going to visit an orphanage. Ric suggested we bring rice and Alvin made the suggestion that we bring a goat. Cammie said, “sure!” so… we will be bringing them a goat! I had asked about getting a nanny goat to milk but looks like this one will be eaten. Apparently Alvin saw a few goats strapped to the roof of someone else’s vehicle and thought that would be cool. Poto said that it should cost around $70 to buy a goat so we will buy a goat AND a bag of rice! :)

This is probably the last blog entry before returning back to the States. It’s been an amazing week. I look forward to telling everyone about it.

We have a long layover in Nairobi, and a much shorter one in London.

Some more info

1. They take American dollars here almost as much or more than Congolese Francs.
2. I am getting an outfit made. Most of the boys got shirts made. I will have to post a picture of all of us with our Congolese clothing.
3. Rice and beans can be very, very tasty. I’m hoping my roommate will help me make some when I return. I realize how well you can exist on rice and beans… oh… and some junk food that folks brought over in their suitcases.
4. Tom and the ginga ninjas climbed a mango tree yesterday. Hopefully, I can upload a shot or two of us.
5. Papaya trees look a lot like palm trees and mango trees look a lot like avocados.

No comments: